POSTING DATE: August 30, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
CLASSIFICATION: Environmental Associate
HOURS: 40 hours per week
Perform functions to collect, analyze and disseminate mosquito, arbovirus, and weather data to RCD and WDW pest management, working within the limits of standard or accepted practice.
- Bachelor’s degree in Entomology, Biology, Environmental Science, or related field.
- Public Health Pest Management Certification required.
- One to three years of experience in Mosquito Control or related position required.
- Knowledge of basic computer use and specific computer software required.
- Knowledge of animal phlebotomy required.
- Proficient in mosquito identification and classification.
- Ability to compile, analyze and maintain operating records and prepare definitive reports.
- Maintain Sentinel Chicken flocks. Feed and water chickens. Clean and maintain chicken cages.
- Perform phlebotomy on chickens for disease testing. Organize samples for submission and submit data.
- Set and retrieve traps for mosquito surveillance. Count and identify specimens under microscope. Record data.
- Download and input weather data in MS Access software.
- Perform maintenance on equipment as required.
- Attend department meetings. Stay abreast with research and scientific findings.
- Perform or assist with any operations, as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules and quality requirements.
- Participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, and policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Regular, dependable attendance required.
The following requirements are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and is not intended to be inclusive. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, as defined by law, to perform any essential functions.
- Must possess a valid Florida State Driver’s license and maintain eligibility under the District’s commercial vehicle program.
While engaging in the duties of this position the Employee performs lifting and/or carrying of up to 50 lbs. frequently and 10 occasionally. Employee sits frequently. Employee stands/walks on varied surfaces, bends/stoops/crouches, pushes/pulls, climbs/balances and kneels occasionally. Employee uses their hand(s)/arm(s) to reach in any direction and seize, grasp, hold and turn object using hand(s). Employee uses fingers, versus whole hand, to pick, pinch and feel objects. Employee sees, talk and hear. Employee Visual functions include the ability to identify and distinguish colors and requires adjustment of lens of the eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
Employee will operate motor vehicle(s) that involve the use of hand/foot controls.
Pay ranges between $913 and $1,194 per week, depending upon qualifications and experience.